What will I study at KS3?
In Year 7, you will study both French and Spanish. At the end of Year 7, you will select your preferred language for study in Year 8 and beyond. This will allow you to deepen your knowledge and understanding of your chosen language.
- You will develop your grammatical understanding and use the key verb ‘aimer’ in order to express your opinions on pets.
- You will develop your confidence in the classroom and use a variety of phrases to enable you to speak French regularly (and earn lots of Chatterbox tickets!).
- You will gain an understanding of the definite and indefinite articles in French.
- You will develop the skills of reading and listening in the context of ‘introductions’.
- You will develop your grammatical knowledge even further in order to express a range of opinions on leisure activities and will be able to speak confidently and accurately in French.
- You will use the key verb ‘avoir’ in order to describe your physical appearance; you will have the opportunity to develop the skills of; speaking, translation and writing.
- You will use the key verb ‘être’ in order to describe the personality of your family.
- You will develop your grammatical understanding and be able to confidently use adjectives to describe your MFL classroom.
- You will develop your confidence in the classroom and use a variety of phrases to enable you to speak Spanish regularly (and earn lots of Chatterbox tickets!).
- You will develop the skill of speaking in order to explore your favourite (and least favourite!) subjects and why.
- You will further develop your knowledge of school subjects and be able to add a range of connectives, comparatives and intensifiers to your work.
- You will develop the skills of listening and reading whilst also developing your grammatical knowledge in the context of school uniform.
- You will develop the skills of extended writing and translation in the context of sports whilst also understanding the importance of attention to detail (locations, who with, opinions and frequency phrases).
- You will develop your presentation skills in order to introduce and describe yourself in Spanish.
Year 8 French
- You will develop the skills of reading and listening when describing your house using the present tense.
- You will develop your confidence in the spoken form and combine the present and the future tense to say what you do at home.
- You will use a range of tenses confidently in order to describe your music, TV and film preferences whilst gaining an understanding of French culture.
- You will develop your grammatical accuracy in the past tense in order to explore the topic of holidays (holiday types, countries, transport and accommodation).
- You will develop the skills of translation and extended writing in order to describe holiday activities.
- You will develop the skill of role-play and will ‘experience’ restaurant and healthy eating scenarios (there will be lots of Chatterbox opportunities here!).
- You will use a range of grammatical structures in the infinitive form in order to confidently describe your free time activities.
- You will develop your grammatical knowledge, focussing on the preterite tense whilst learning about ‘typical’ Spanish hobbies.
- You will develop the skill of speaking in order to describe your house using a photo card stimulus (earning lots of Chatterbox tickets too!).
- You will develop the skill of writing in order to explore your lifestyle, you will debate issues such as; smoking, alcohol, drugs, sport and exercise which will also allow your speaking skills to flourish!
- You will develop the skill of role-play and will ‘experience’ leisure and café/restaurant scenarios.
Year 9 French
- You will consolidate your understanding of all three tenses (past, present and future) in order to describe your school and express your opinion on a range of school subjects with a grammar focus!
- You will continue to develop your understanding of tenses in the spoken form (hopefully earning lots of Chatterbox tickets along the way!).
- You will explore future jobs and careers in French with a clear future tense focus.
- You will develop the skills of listening and reading in order to understand past tense descriptions.
- You will explore the popular topic of technology and develop your knowledge of mobile phones, social media and computers in French!
- You will explore future jobs and careers in Spanish with a clear future and conditional tense focus.
- You will explore a range of advantages and disadvantages in Spanish which will allow you to develop the skills of reading and listening.
- You will focus on the grammatical aspects of Spanish and consolidate the preterite tense whilst navigating around Spanish towns!
- You will develop the skill of speaking and confidently explore and describe the current environmental and global issues in the world today! You will hopefully earn some Chatterbox tickets along the way!
- You will study the topic of holidays and develop the skill of writing (descriptions of photo cards, extended writing and translation).
- You will be a set a variety of homework tasks in order to develop all four skills and your confidence in both French and Spanish (listening, speaking, reading and writing).
- Your homework will consist of a combination of the following activities:
- Listening (listening comprehension online activities via e-mail)
- Reading (reading comprehension activities)
- Speaking (speaking preparation for; conversation, role play scenario, photo card)
- Writing (descriptions of photo cards, translations French/Spanish to English and English to French/Spanish, extended writing)